/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

TVGeekSpeak.com



Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Geek/CounterGeek: TiVo? Or Not TiVo?

Here on TVGeekSpeak.com, there's never a shortage of love for TiVo. But is this revolutionary device.... eviiillll? Vito pontificates in this week's Geek/CounterGeek.

Geek: TiVo, The Greatest Invention Ever

I was the first in my circle of friends to get TiVo. TiVo soon became more than a high-tech alternative to a VCR, it became a member of the family. I became an evangelical TiVo owner, and one by one, all my friends got one too.

My TV viewing habits became more efficient. If I skipped the commercials and all the teasers and re-caps, I could watch an hour long Behind The Music in twenty minutes! Why sit through a painfully unfunny SNL skit when with the touch of a button I could skip ahead to the next painfully unfunny SNL skit?

Live TV viewing and random channel surfing became a thing of the past. Tivo had what I wanted, when I wanted it. I now have two series 2 TiVos. I can record two shows at once and copy shows from one Tivo to another.

My life is complete.

CounterGeek: Tivo, The Dark Side

TV viewing is not meant to be stressful; in fact many people do it to relax. With TiVo, I find myself under pressure. My first TiVo held 30 hours of programming. That sounds like a lot, but that’s at basic quality, which looks like crap. When you up the quality, you lower the amount of shows TiVo can store. Even though I could watch more TV in less time, I was recording more than I could watch. When TiVo gets full, it automatically deletes the oldest programs to make room for the newest. I now had to hurry and watch shows before they disappeared.

To solve this problem, I bought a new TiVo and added drives to it. Now I have 302 hours of recording space instead of 30. I no longer have to worry about TiVo deleting anything. Instead, I have to worry that I’ll have to take an early retirement so I can watch all the shows I’ve recorded before I die.

Last week, some coworkers asked me about a greatly hyped show that aired recently. It sounded cool, but I’d never heard of it. By skipping commercials and never channel surfing, I’m missing promos for upcoming shows that I’d love to see. Which defeats the entire purpose of TiVo in the first place.

I’ve sold my soul to TiVo, and there is no way out.

For daily TV Headlines, features, and trivia, tune in to your inner geek at TVGeekSpeak.com!

2 other geekspeak:

  • Vito, do yourself a favor and get TV guide if you don't already get it. You won't need to watch any promos. In fact, tivo should put all promo writers out of business :)

    That being said, TiVo is the greatest thing since sliced bread. While I compare it to HDTV, there is no doubt that I'd rather have Tivo than HDTV (although an HDTV Tivo with 300 hours storage would be dandy as well, as long as the HD service is free). It saddens me to see TiVo going down the road of Tivo-To-Go which just..SUCKS... and to abandon what it does best... let's hope that Cablevision and company offer a Craptacular DVR.

    By Blogger joevideo, at 10:25 AM  

  • On my series 2 TiVO, one of the front page links is a showcases and tv guide entry. From there, I can, if I so desire, browse to see various movies and shows coming up.

    I also, at times, browse by show title everything my tivo knows is coming up in the upcoming weeks.

    However, I can sympathize with the idea that now that I seldom watch commercials, there are things that I may miss. Perhaps Tivo could offer an option to record the first episode of any new series in the same way as it records tivo suggestions.
    Or perhaps there should be a keyword search term so that one could set up a wishlist to record first episodes.

    By Blogger Larry W. Virden, at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home