/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

TVGeekSpeak.com



Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Static From The Geek-In-Chief: Censor This, Fuckers



This week, it becomes more clear that the FCC is drooling at the prospect of adding cable TV to its increasing sphere of influence. They want to regulate pay TV (meaning, a service people voluntarily request by paying money for it) and hold it to the same, ever-tightening standards that over-the-air broadcasters must (according to this appointed panel of Nancy-boy wusses) adhere to.

Isn't anyone else scared by this prospect? How about irritated? Or even enraged? I'm starting to feel a bit of all three.

I don't want to turn this column into some sort of big, whiny diatribe against censorship. But I can't help but wonder when average people (and I know you're out there) who feel like they're smart enough to decide what to watch and what not to watch will stand up and tell the FCC to stick it.

As a person who generally votes conservative, I'm way more moderate when it comes to social issues. And the only thing I want censored from TV is American Idol (now that's offensive!) I don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't watch- especially when I'm paying extra for the priviledge. I'm shelling out 100 beans a month so I can enjoy cheezy titty flicks and potty-mouthed comics- and it shouldn't be illegal for me to get 'em!

I'm fully aware of the responsibility that comes along with said adult fare. I know I have to keep it from the kids, although I'm sure the average 8 year old hears far worse language on the playground than on the most recent episode of Deadwood.

Sure, it's easy to sit quiet and do nothing. Maybe censorship on TV hasn't affected you personally just yet. If you only watch Jeopardy and SpongeBob, maybe it never will. But it scares me that a small, extremely determined group of people can dictate policy for the masses because of sheer indifference.

With all due respect, they can thump their Bibles all they want. But that thumping doesn't replace common sense, or good parenting, or our right to freedom of speech, no matter how loud.

So let's all watch this situation carefully, and be prepared to act. After all, The Shield would really suck without the curse words.

Back to TVGeekSpeak.com

0 other geekspeak:

Post a Comment

<< Home